The IRS Notice CP90 is a letter sent to notify a taxpayer of unpaid taxes and that the IRS intends to levy to collect the amount owed. This notice and referenced publications explain how to request an appeal if you do not agree.
Why did the IRS send you a CP90 Notice?
- You have an unpaid balance owed to the IRS that was not paid by the due date.
- The IRS sent multiple notices of the unpaid balance but did not receive payment.
- The IRS sent this letter to inform you of your right to a Collections Due Process Hearing.
What should you do next?
There are multiple options of how to respond to this IRS CP90.
- If you believe that the balance owed is correct and you have the available funds to pay it, then you should send a check for the full amount to the IRS per the instructions listed on the CP90.
- If you believe you do not owe the proposed balance, the IRS requires you to file a Form 12153, Request for A Collection Due Process Hearing and send it to the address listed on your IRS Notice CP90 within 30 days from the date printed at the top of your notice.
- If you are not able to pay the full balance listed on the CP90 there are a few options available to you.
- Installment Agreement – a monthly payment program.
- Offer in Compromise – a one-time lump sum payment, negotiated down from the current amount you owe based on your assets and your ability to pay.
- CNC (Currently not Collectible) – this puts you in a not collectible status with the IRS and requires you provide a full financial profile to the IRS.
- First time penalty abatement – this can lower the amount you owe by discharging penalties acquired for not paying the IRS in a timely manner. (Must meet eligibility requirements.)
Need help with IRS CP90?
If you have received a IRS Notice CP90 or currently owe taxes to the IRS or a State Tax agency, please CONTACT US to discuss how we can assist in resolving your tax debt. Britt & Burroughs is a Tax Law Firm that focuses its practice on settling tax debts.
Contact Britt and Burroughs
Britt & Burroughs
4343 Shallowford Rd #B7A
Marietta, GA 30062