The IRS Notice CP14 is a letter sent to notify a taxpayer that they owe money to the IRS on unpaid taxes.
Why did the IRS send you a CP14 Notice?
- Based on information that the IRS has they believe that you owe money on taxes.
What should you do next?
There are multiple options of how to respond to this notice.
- If you believe that the amount you owe is correct and you have the available funds to pay it, then you should send a check for the full amount to the IRS per the instructions listed on the CP14.
- If you believe you do not owe the proposed balance, the IRS requires you to contact them within 60 days from the date of your notice.
- By telephone: Call the IRS at the telephone number shown on your notice. The fastest way to resolve many return errors is by telephone. Some cases require additional information that you may provide verbally. If we need a missing or corrected form or document, you can fax it to the IRS while on the telephone.
- By mail: Be sure to include a copy of the notice along with your correspondence or documentation and allow 30-60 or more days for a resolution.
- If you are not able to pay the full balance listed on the CP14 there are a few options available to you.
- Installment Agreement – a monthly payment program.
- Offer in Compromise – a one-time lump sum payment, negotiated down from the current amount you owe based on your assets and your ability to pay.
- CNC (Currently not Collectible) – this puts you in a not collectible status with the IRS and requires you provide a full financial profile to the IRS.
- First time penalty abatement – this can lower the amount you owe by discharging penalties acquired for not paying the IRS in a timely manner. (Must meet eligibility requirements.)
If you have received a IRS Notice CP14 or currently owe taxes to the IRS or a State Tax agency, please CONTACT US to discuss how we can assist in resolving your tax debt. Britt & Burroughs is an Atlanta Tax Law Firm that focuses its practice on settling tax debts.
Contact Britt & Burroughs
Britt & Burroughs
4343 Shallowford Rd #B7A
Marietta, GA 30062